Baby Boy and Mom Both Survived Rare Childbirth at CHI St. Francis | Grand Island Local News

Kyzer Hendrickson threw one hell of a birthday party on Wednesday, licking cupcake frosting and being the center of attention in a room full of nurses.

The people in the room had a lot to do with Kyzer’s healthy arrival into the world a year earlier.

The folks at CHI Health St. Francis got Kyzer and his mother to safety through an emergency C-section, necessitated by a ruptured uterus.

Such breakups don’t happen often.

They are “often fatal for the baby and then potentially for the mom,” said Beth Deida, obstetrics educator at CHI St. Francis.

Kyzer and his mother, Nicole Dramse, returned to the hospital on his first birthday. He was enamored with labor and delivery, NICU nurses and surgery.

Dr. Michael Ryskin, who gave birth to him, was also watching.

Due to HIPA rules, Ryskin could not confirm that Dramse suffered a ruptured uterus. But she “acutely developed a very serious complication of the pregnancy which threatened her life and that of the baby,” he said.

People also read…

He has only seen such a condition two or three times in his 40 years of practicing medicine.

Dramse, who was 38 weeks pregnant, woke up in severe pain on May 25, 2021.

She went to her doctor’s office on Grand Island, where the midwife could see that something was wrong.

The midwife’s name was CHI St. Francis.

Deida took the call. She had just completed a unit meeting with several staff members who attended Wednesday’s birthday party.

The midwife told Deida that the mother had already had a caesarean, she was in severe abdominal pain and they were struggling to get the baby a good heartbeat.

Based on the midwife’s clinical assessment, Deida knew it was a ruptured uterus.

Miranda Hopkins holds Kyzer Hendrickson on Wednesday as Shawnee Williams feeds the youngster cupcake frosting.

Independent/McKenna Lamoree

“And so I activated our team right away. Before the patient even knocked on the door, we had the surgery team here, we had anesthesia, we had our two CHI Health obstetricians/gynecologists on the way And the patient went straight from her wheelchair to the operating theatre.We got the baby out in 16 minutes, from the door to delivery.

When Dramse arrived, the medical team still had a chance to save the day. “And we took it,” Ryskin said.

“I am grateful to the powers above us who have left this door open for us. We were just there to do what we were supposed to do, and we did it,” Ryskin said.

He was thrilled to see mom and baby healthy and happy a year later. It’s “very rare to have this kind of problem and end well,” Ryskin said.

How long was Dramse conscious during the ordeal?

She remembers going “into the operating room and seeing everyone. And then I left. »

After Kyzer was born at 10:59 a.m., he was airlifted to Omaha Children’s Hospital, where he remained for a week.

Doctors wanted Dramse to stay at St. Francis for a week. But after two nights, they succumbed to her pleas to release her to see her baby.

The medical staff wanted to make sure she was okay after her internal bleeding. Once they were sure she was safe, “they let me go,” she said.

“We are so grateful to the entire St. Francis team,” Dramse said.

This day was definitely not planned, she noted. “We were grateful they were there and ready to help in a real emergency,” she said.

How does Dramse feel now?

“Great. Like nothing happened,” she said.

Dramse and Matt Hendrickson are the parents of three children.

Their other sons are Karston, 12, and Mason, 11. She had a cesarean with Mason.

Kyzer, who had the nurses in the palm of his hand on Wednesday, doesn’t cry very often. “He’s the coolest baby,” his mom said.

Deida was happy to see that all the hard work of the healthcare workers is paying off.

CHI Baby Kyzer ML (5).JPG

CHI Health St. Francis nurses, some of whom helped deliver Kyzer Hendrickson a year ago, pose with Kyzer and her mother, Nicole Dramse, at the hospital on Wednesday.

Independent/McKenna Lamoree

“The teamwork was just amazing that day,” said Deida. “For all of us to be a part of something so amazing was so rewarding, and then a year later to see that the work we did, the drills we do, the teamwork we have” leads to “Results like this – that we have a perfectly healthy one-year-old, it’s amazing.

Nurses who work in labor and delivery “are part of the miracle of life, God’s gift,” Deida said.

“We get to do moms every day,” she said. The experience is special.

“Our goal is for every mother to go home with a healthy baby,” Deida said.

Dramse’s story was “simply amazing” because “the outcome could have been much worse,” Deida said.

“And we’re grateful that God was there with us that day and provided everyone who needed to be there to achieve great results for mom and baby,” Deida said.

“I love our profession,” Deida said. “I love our team, and there is no possible way we could have had the result without the team we have, the experience we have and the dedication of our staff to these great results.”

Dramse, meanwhile, is a happy mom.

“Yes, very grateful,” she said.

[email protected]

Previous The best gifts for gin lovers in Australia: from gin gift sets to celebrity brands
Next Schoolchildren in Northern Ireland submit over 2,000 designs for the NIO Jubilee rug competition