When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
- Postpartum recovery products are not what comes to mind when most people think of baby shower gifts.
- As a new mom, I cherished the time spent with my daughter, but it was in pain as well.
- So when my best friend got pregnant 10 months after me, I knew the best baby shower gift I could give her was a basket of products to help her recover after giving birth.
- The items on this list are great for soothing engorged breasts and sore nipples, and relieving vaginal pain and tenderness.
- This article was reviewed by Julia Simon, MD, who is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UChicago Medicine.
When my mother was pregnant with me and was about to pack her hospital bags, her midwife asked her if âshe had packed sanitary napkinsâ.
My mother’s response was âOh! Will I have time in the hospital to write thank you cards for baby gifts? She was totally oblivious to the realities of postpartum recovery.
When I was pregnant with my first baby, my mom brought this up with me by telling me this story and continuing with, âYou know you’re going to bleed for a while, don’t you?
And yes I knew this, but frankly I was surprised by the tingling, bruising and pain I felt for weeks after delivering an 8 pound, 6 ounce baby two weeks before due date.
While we’ve come a long way since my mom wasn’t sure what pads she was supposed to take, physical recovery after childbirth is still a taboo subject. We tend to focus on enjoying having a little baby snuggled up against our breasts for the first few weeks. It’s amazing, and as a new mom, I treasured every moment of baby’s cuddling, cooing and stretching, but it hurt. Everything hurts.
So when my best friend got pregnant 10 months after me, I decided to make a postpartum recovery products gift basket for her baby shower. A shower is a rite of passage for expectant parents, but everyone donates adorable clothes and items for the new baby. But what about the parent who gives birth to a baby? They are also a new human. A person who needs their own set of products to make the transition after pregnancy.
Here are eight postpartum recovery gifts that got me through my first few weeks as a new mom: